Monday, January 5, 2009

Scott C said...

I just learned yesterday, Dec 20, of Matt's passing.

I have been busy finishing med school, in Denver; and so, do not regularly check mail.
For the Holiday's, I'm at my parents now, in Portland, where my Reed mail collects. I was catching up on it yesterday; and was saddened to learn of Matt's passing.

I want to extend my condolences to all of Matt's family and friends and loved ones. I recognize the profound tolls (emotional and otherwise) that the sudden loss of a loved one creates. So, my thoughts are with all of Matt's family, friends, and loved ones.



Last night, I had a chance to reflect on my memories of Matt. Here are some of them.

In the first couple of days I was at Reed (during orientation infact), Matt was the first
person I met. For whatever reasons, he sought me out and introduced himself. We quickly established a friendship that lasted from those first days until years after graduation.

I think it's important to say that I was not a social person in my days at Reed. Instead, I was, for the most part, young and scared and isolated, which reflected in my behavior. I'm not proud of this fact, but that's how I was.

Matt's presence in my life however, from that first meeting, chipped away at my isolation. He repeatedly, over and over, year after year, invited me into the social circles he developed and partipated in. For the most part, I struggled against his invitations and floundered in those circles. But, Matt always kept coming back.

I am indebted to Matt for doing this: He allowed me the opportunity to establish friendships I would not have been able to establish myself.

At Reed, and after, Matt and I had many long conversations about many things: Music, movies, art, literature, philosophy, politics. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that those
conversations changed me, as a person, for the better.

When I first came to Reed, Matt was far ahead of me in most subjects. I brought some things
to the table, but most of our conversations amounted to Matt teaching me about things I knew nothing about. He introduced me to writers and thought that changed me. Most importantly, he was gracious about it. For example, in some subjects I was self taught and I did not know the correct pronunciations of many of the words. Matt would carefully and respectfully correct me in these points.

Over the years, there were times when I was dissappointed with his choices. Two long
conversations stand out in my mind. I remember aspects of those conversations and remember struggling to understand him and struggling to dissaude him. I remember leaving those conversations knowing that I had been unsuccessful; that he was set on his course.

In later years, we mostly only swapped events, stories and opinions over the phone;
while I was in Texas and he was in Chicago or California. But periodically, every few years,
we would touch base; at times, for hours. I found great challenge, and pleasure and reward
through all of these conversations.

For example, a couple years ago, prior to chosing to switch from industry to medicine, I consulted Matt, several times, over the phone. I listened carefully to his opinions. I appreciated his input on the matter, which influenced and strengthened me to proceed to a life I am now profoundly rewarded by and grateful for.

I believe I owe Matt many thanks for many things he did for me. Over and again he influenced me positively. So I remember Matt, and my friendship with him, with appreciation for his life and sadness for his loss.

Again, my condolences to all
Scott C

2 comments:

  1. Tracy,


    I can be reached at drnontrad@gmail.com; am interested in listening / talking etc.



    V. Bests,

    S.C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read this blog several times. I cannot overestimate the impact that the Reagon boys had on my life. I just want to share a tiny rememberence; my first encounter with Matt Reagon. I was a new student to Webutuck H.S. in my Junior year. I was barely paying attention to the morning announcements when a gravely voice (Matt) came over the loudspeaker with the Plege of Allegiance. His voice itself caught my attention, so I was listening when he ended the Pledge (over the school's entire loudspeaker system) "With Liberty, and Justice...for SOME." That was Matt at Seventeen.

    ReplyDelete